Students who require accommodations or academic support because of a physical or learning disability, or any condition that affects their ability to learn, should read more about tutorials and supports.

I’m available to respond to questions by email, direct message on twitter or, best of all, old-fashioned meetings—anytime of the week, by appointment—to deal with almost any issues that can’t be sorted out during classes, tutorials or other support sessions available to you.

A dedicated tutor, Joshua Toews,, helps students who are struggling, or just searching for an advantage. Tutorials are Wednesdays from 10:00-11:30 in FTX 133. Tutorials on September 18, October 2 and 23, and November 6 and 20 are open to all students. Extra sessions for students pre-approved for additional support for access/equity take place on September 25, October 9 and 30, and November 13 and 27 require advance registration.

To sign up for access/equity tutorials, request an exam deferral, assignment extension, or other accommodation, you must contact the Common Law Student Centre (FTX 237,

Circumstances that may warrant accommodation include but are not restricted to:

  • a permanent state of affairs (e.g., a disability, a permanent medical condition),
  • an ongoing situation (e.g., a personal crisis, pregnancy),
  • reasons related to equity concerns (e.g., religious obligations, sole parenthood),
  • a one-time event or circumstance (e.g., a short illness, a temporary injury, a day surgery), or
  • compassionate grounds (e.g., a death in the family, a sick child or dependant).

Students should consult the Equity and Academic Success portion of the Faculty website for complete details about accommodation.

Students who require accommodation or academic support because of a physical or learning disability, or any ongoing condition which affects their ability to learn, are invited to contact ACCESS SERVICE:

As part of the registration process, students will meet with a Learning Specialist to identify their individual needs, discuss appropriate strategies, and establish adaptive measures. Access Service assesses, establishes, and implements appropriate academic accommodations for students who have a disability, while adhering to the University of Ottawa’s policies, procedures, and administrative regulations, as well as Human Rights legislation.  Access Service works collaboratively with our faculty to facilitate the academic accommodation process. The deadline to request accommodation for final exams is November 15.

Counselling and wellness resources

  • Law Society of Ontario Member Assistance Program: Law students are invited to use the free and confidential support and counselling services. This is a service funded by and fully independent of the Law Society of Ontario, available 24/7 at 1-855-403-8922:
  • SASS – Counselling and Coaching: The University of Ottawa’s Counselling & Coaching Service provides free and confidential counselling support to Common Law students. For a consultation, please call 613-562-5200 or visit their website at The Counselling & Coaching Service is located at 100 Marie-Curie (Health Services building), 4th floor.
  • University of Ottawa Health Services (UOHS): The Family Health Team of the UOHS offers mental health services. The Family Health Team Psychiatrists and Mental Health Counsellors are available to patients enrolled with a family physician with the UOHS Family Health Team. Services are free. To register, visit
  • Just Balance: A support site aimed at promoting the well-being of law students in Canada:
  • Emergency Services:

Prevention of sexual violence

The University of Ottawa does not tolerate any form of sexual violence. Sexual violence refers to any act of a sexual nature committed without consent, such as rape, sexual harassment or online harassment. The University, as well as student and employee associations, offers a full range of resources and services allowing members of our community to receive information and confidential assistance and providing for a procedure to report an incident or make a complaint. Others may choose not to report, but will still want support from professionals who specialize in the area of sexual violence prevention and supporting survivors. More information is at